We are still in Stonehaven again this week for the blog as there is so much to do! This is a picture which was taken just outside the entrance to Stonehaven Tolbooth Museum and it dates back to between 1553 and 1623. It is believed that it was founded by George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal and its purpose was as a storehouse when Dunnottar Castle was being built.
The building became a tolbooth back in 1600 and after 1624, the ground floor was used as a prison and the top floor was used as a courthouse. It continued like this until 1767 when the prison and courthouse were relocated and the tolbooth reverted back to a store. In 1963, after falling into disrepair, the building was renovated and it was officially re-opened by the Queen Mother. Nowadays, the bottom floor is a museum, after being converted back in 1975. The top floor is a restaurant.
It is free entry to visit the museum and it is situated right at the harbour. Certainly worth a visit and it is in the top 6 things to do on Trip Advisor in Stonehaven!