This is Kinneff Old Kirk which is just over 8 miles from Stonehaven. We like to take a trip down the coast and if you are in the area, then a visit to Kinneff Church is certainly something to do. It is a lovely little kirk and has been a few years since we last visited.
The history of the church dates back to 1242 when a church was built here – this original church was a basic rectangular building which had a nave and chancel inside. After the Reformation back in 1560, the exterior remained the same but the interior seating layout of the church was changed.
In 1640, the Reverend James Grainger was appointed the minister of the church and in 1651, when Cromwell laid siege to Dunnottar Castle, Christian Grainger – Reverend James’ wife – smuggled the Crown Jewels out of the castle and hid them under the floor in the church. They remained hidden here until 1660, when they were transferred to Edinburgh Castle.
In 1738, the church was rebuilt and there were further alterations to the church over the years.
By 1976, Kinneff Old Church was no longer a worshipping church. In 1979, Kinneff Old Church Preservation Trust was set up to restore and maintain the Church and what a wonderful job they have done! It is great to spend some time walking around and admiring all the displays that are on show inside the church. It is open everyday throughout the year between 9.00am and 6.00pm.